I'm participating in my first Mixed Media Monday challenge. If your visiting from MMM, thanks so much for stopping by! This is my first "official" mixed media project. The theme for this week's challenge is Something Blue. Given turquoise is my favorite color, I was quite excited to jump in and get started on my piece. I picked up this dress form from a thrift store awhile ago and I knew I could alter it and make it more beautiful. Ever since I started sewing I've developed a love for dress forms. Here's what it looked like before I started the transformation:
I set the paint bottle there so you can see the size.
So, let me share the techniques I used in making this. First, I painted the entire piece white, just kind of haphazardly. I knew I'd be adding multiple coats of various shades of blue. Then, I used alcohol inks to color white buttons various shades of blue. This was my first time using alcohol inks and let me tell you; I'm in LOVE. These are SO cool! Here's a before pic of the buttons:
Once the buttons were dry, I used tacky glue to adhere them to the bodice of the dress form. For the flowers, I mixed white, blue and turquoise acrylic paint and dipped 2 cream roses into the paint. I swirled them and smooshed them and used tissue paper to sop up the excess paint, then I hot glued them to the arms of the dress form. I added stickles to the petals as a finishing touch.
For the skirt, I mixed blue liquid water color paint with water and a dollop of royal blue acrylic paint, then I soaked white eyelet trim in the paint and then hung it to dry. Once it was dry, I cut it into strips and hot glued the strips around the dress form to create a ruffled skirt. I added more stickles to the flowers in the ruffles simply because glitter is addictive!
I added some white fiber ribbon to the waist and a string of thrifted beads around the neck. I think all of the elements of this piece were thrifted except the paint.
I love how it turned out and it's the perfect decor for my studio!
I'd love to hear your comments!