Saturday, June 20, 2009

Learning to sew

This project was inspired by Mary Ann Kohl and Amanda Soule. I want to get Taylor more involved in sewing and she likes to "play" with my sewing supplies. So, we tried this simple art project the other day...

Start with the materials in the photo above: paint, paintbrush, cardboard shapes, and a piece of burlap. You'll also need an embroidery needle and yarn or embroidery thread. They make plastic needles that are perfect for little sewers! I got mine at JoAnn's.

Paint the shapes. Take a break while they dry :)

Once they're painted and dried, use a hole punch and punch 2 or 4 holes in the center of the shapes to make cardboard "buttons"

Guide your little one and start sewing by bringing the needle through the back of the fabric and through the hole in the shape.

Be very proud of how quickly your little one catches on!

Taylor was content to sew just one button, but I've got a mindful of ideas now for simple handsewing projects we can do together. This is just the beginning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that idea! we have lacing cards for Zoe that she enjoys, but sewing on buttons would be tons of fun!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Very cute! I'm also teaching my kids to sew this summer. I'm teaching them on the sewing machine right now!

Rebecca

Anne said...

This is such a cool idea!!! My daughter has already learned the basics of sewing, but I'm thinking this would be awesome for the busy bags at church.

I posted a link to your tutorial at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-teaching-little-hands-to-sew/2009/07/31/
--Anne

Anonymous said...

I cut out solorful pictures and then use a hole punch all the way around it and have my 6 year old weave yarn in and out all of the holes.

Order Antidepressants said...

You have a very good blog that the main thing a lot of interesting and useful!